Statement of Teaching Philosophy Advice

The assignment for next week, in brief, is to write a first draft of Statement of Teaching Philosophy that will be about 2 single-spaced pages. We mostly talked about the balance of moving away from personal narrative but not just writing abstract philosophy. Also, we discussed how you don’t need to be comprehensive, but should identify the aspects of teaching that matter most to you. Please leave questions/comments/concerns below.

As promised, here are some links with advice for crafting a statement of teaching philosophy:

4 Steps to a Memorable Teaching Philosophy

A Philosophy of Teaching

How to Write a Statement of Teaching Philosophy

Teaching Statements Are Bunk

Posted in Prof. Ferguson, Teaching Philosophy.

5 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. Victoria Fontana says

The links to the articles are really helpful. I think I have a good idea of what to do from reading those articles and the advice above.

However, since I couldn’t attend class last Monday (my apologies!!) I need to clarify a point. We’re asked to adopt a “balance of moving away from personal narrative” but not write abstract philosophy. Would any part of a successful “statement” be in first person or should we write only through the lens of an educator, in 3rd person? If we are to include a story, some of that would need to be written as a personal narrative.

• Kevin L. Ferguson says

I think it should definitely be in the first person–but also more formal (more of a philosophy of teaching, rather than a narrative of experience).

2. Victoria Fontana says

Secondly, may we include any part of our revised literacy narrative?

3. Johanna Sanchez says

Thank you for the links. This makes it all much more clear to me.