Assignment for Next Week

OK . . . it made sense to include some aspect of the course content so far, so as to not end up with too general papers. But, keep in mind that our next assignment will be the “connecting” theory to practice one.

Please leave questions/comments below.

ENGL 703: Composition Theory and Literacy Studies
Prof. Ferguson

Literacy Narrative Reevaluation
Due date: March 19th
Length: about 4 pages
Format: to be printed and brought to class: 16 copies

Assignment:
Your literacy narratives gave examples of the many ways that Deborah Brandt’s “literacy sponsors” simultaneously “enable and hinder literacy activity.” Approaching your literacy narrative from the perspective of an educator, your assignment is to reevaluate your literacy narrative through the lens of “sponsorship.”

Advice:
The best papers will focus on specific concrete details from your literacy narrative. The best papers will also demonstrate the difference between your younger self’s acquisition of literacy and your older self’s intellectual understanding of that process. You do not need to cite any of the course texts, and can assume readers are familiar with Brandt’s article.

Posted in Prof. Ferguson.

17 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. johnjparente says

Any outsider would say that this is a well planned assignment. Not playing either. We have really come together to do something great here.

• mobrien says

I agree! It’s almost embarassing that I have never approached the creation of an assignment in this way before, but I’m glad I’ve been exposed to this structure; it makes so much more sense and I think will help with student interpretaion of assignments from here on out. Thank you, all!

2. Christopher Grimm says

Hey, all!

I, too, appreciate that we had a hand to create this assignment. It’s very forward-thinking to allow students such a hand in devising our own assignments. I wonder what Stanley Fish would say.

I do have one concern, however. Am I correct in understanding that each of us needs to print sixteen copies of this “Statement of Teaching Philosophy-in progress?” I, personally, am fine with this, although I can see some of our peers struggling to print 64 pages in one week. Am I right? (We’re graduate students, after all! Some of us subsist on Ramen noodles & Pabst Blue Ribbon, if only to be blessed with the occasional slice of tofu!)

Have a great week, everybody. Safaarah, you were missed!

• Kevin L. Ferguson says

OK, how about this: bring five copies: one for you, one for me, then the other three we’ll use in small groups. It’s probably not practical to read everyone’s writing either in print form or blog form, so we can dedicate, say, 30 minutes to reading/discussing next class in small groups, and perhaps more time the following week.

Thoughts?

• Safaarah Williamson says

Chris, that was so sweet. I am sorry that I missed an opportunity to experience this flow of creativity. Although, I was a bit confused initially, I am excited to see everyone working together so effectively.

3. Christopher Grimm says

*”Literacy Narative Reevaluation,” not “Statement of Teaching Philosophy–in progress.”

4. Johanna Sanchez says

Hi all!
    Ok so our assignment is to reevaluate our literacy narratives though the lens of “sponsorship”. Can someone make that more clear to me please. I do not understand the part where we have to reevaluate it through the “lens of sponsorship”. Thank you.

• Dana Choit says

I take this to mean that you must use what you know/think about Brandt and sponsorship and now apply it to your literacy narrative. So, go back and look at your lit narrative, ask yourself, how does the idea of sponsorship relate? Prof said in the advice section that the best will discuss differences between your younger self and older self, so how does sponsorship relate to your younger self/ literacy and your older self/literacy.

Does this sound about right?

• Johanna Sanchez says

Yes thank you, this makes it all much clearer!

• Kevin L. Ferguson says

Yes, that’s what I was thinking. You can look at that experience from two points of view–when you’re actually in the situation, and then years later when you’re able to analyze it.

5. Rachel Duso says

is each time we write going to be 4 pages or is the end outcome supposed to be 4 pages?

• Johanna Sanchez says

I believe the end outcome is 4 pages total

• Kevin L. Ferguson says

I think each time will be around four pages. The actual end result, though, will probably be shorter than four pages. Maybe 2-ish pages. A statement of teaching philosophy shouldn’t be long and boring . . .