What is English Education?

Here’s a pdf link to a brief article relevant to our class:

“English Teacher Education as Literacy Teacher Education”

http://www.ncte.org/library/NCTEFiles/Resources/Journals/EE/0442-jan2012/EE0442English.pdf

Posted in Prof. Ferguson.

3 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. Rachel Duso says

Even though the points that Mayer brings up are not new to us in this field he raises interesting points that we must face as new, or future, teachers. Everybody blames someone else for the things that our students do not know. High school teachers blame the middle school teachers, the middle school teachers blame the elementary school teachers, and they all blame the parents. And then there’s the issue that teachers are the problem so how can we be part of the solution? The problem is that everything has changed except for the way colleges prepare teachers. Society has changed along with the way parents raise their children and the way children act and react yet college students are not being prepared for the new changes and are still being taught based on the old systems of everything. We are smart so we deal and adapt in these situations but ultimately we are not prepared for the classrooms we are already in or will be in.
    Integrating the many fields that are somehow labelled with English education could possibly benefit each other. I talk to some friends that are in the TESOL program on campus and have them send me some of the stuff they read because I find it useful with my students. It doesn’t always work but there are way to integrate it even if I’m just borrowing bits and pieces of it.
    Thanks for the article, Professor Ferguson.
    Can someone explain the Common Core system to me, please.

2. mobrien says

First, thank you for this article. It is always nice to read articles that keep us informed and “literate” when it comes to the various theories about the world of education and teaching.

Rachel: I have become hyper-aware of the Common Core Standards since it is now required in my district for us to address these standards in our lesson plans. I will try to give you the abridged version. In previous years, New York State has implemented a set of standards for reading, writing, listening, and speaking. These standards read almost llike objectives, or benchmarks, based on grade level. The new Common Core are similar, except that they are much more extensive and explicit. In addition, the Common Core also requires students to be “literate” in the category of informational (non-fiction) texts as well as the tradtional fiction that we teach in a literature course. Again, this is my basic run-down of the main changes. Here is a link that explains the differences between the previous and current standards, as well as a break-down of the standards by subject area and grade level

http://www.corestandards.org/the-standards/english-language-arts-standards

• Kevin L. Ferguson says

Thanks for the info on Common Core Standards. CUNY is adopting a “Common Core” for its undergraduates (this thing called Pathways), but I don’t know much about the ELA standards. Of course, after this week’s readings, I bet we’ll all be a lot more capable of critiquing that seemingly clear-cut word “literate.”